Banner
Welcome, Guest

Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'?

Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 7 years ago #1768

• Iain
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Web God
Having been shown a recoding of a BBC program where an RSPCA officer introduced an Akita as a fighting dog and stating to the owner that 'they do have a bit of a reputation, don't they' I figured I'd put this FAQ o to clear the matter up once and for all.

The Akita has never been bred for fighting, it was never used for fighting in Japan and it was never used for killing Bears!!

The only time I have ever heard of an Akita being used for fighting was over here in the UK, and as we all know, there are some very sad people over here that will use any dog they can for their sick enjoyment!

A for people saying they were used for hunting and killing bears, do me a favour, do you honestly think an Akita, or any other dog for that matter, would be strong enough and dangerous enough to bring down an angry bear??

The use of Akitas in bear hunting was simply for tracking and cornering untill the owner made his way to the area to do the killing.

This is no different to the way many breeds of dog have been and still are today used for hunting.

So there you have it, simple really, the answer is no, the Akita is not and never has been a fighting dog!
Warm feet under the desk provided by 3 furry Akitas and the memories of 2 superb others!

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 7 years ago #1772

• joanne
  • Blowing
Think i will print that onto a tshirt,along with the words ITS A AKITA NOT A BLOODY HUSKY.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Mika,Diva and Blade

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 7 years ago #1773

• Iain
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Web God
Nice idea, it does get very annoying being asked on every walk if my 2 are Huskies
Warm feet under the desk provided by 3 furry Akitas and the memories of 2 superb others!

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 7 years ago #1777

• Donna
  • Trustee
Yes we have that too, however first time yesterday I heard a very "knowledgeable" young lady pointing out to her impressed mother that we had a shiba inu. She wasn`t that impressed when I informed her "actually no she is an akita, and twice the size of a shiba at only 11 months old" still very knowledgable though as she felt the need to inform me she was indeed a bear fighting dog. My reply was merely a snort and a comment of "no, mistaken again and would suggest you read up next time"

I may have explained more but she seemed to know enough already.....grrrrrrr......
Never under estimate the warmth of a cold nose...

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 7 years ago #1779

Hello all. The subject of "fighting dogs" seems to get every one's back up. I hate to rub some Akita lovers the wrong way but Akita's, or atleast the ancestors of the modern day Akita's where surely used for dog fighting in Japan. Especially by the satake clan of Odate city. Here the Akita- Matagi- Inu ( smaller ancestor of the modern Akita) used them and cross bred them to increase their fighting ability. But dog fighting has been outlawed in Japan since 1908 (Unlike the USA where it wasn't made illigal till 1980).

What this history shows is not the nature of our beloved Akitas, but the barbarianism of humanity .
STOP THE WORLD I WANNA GET OFF, or at least slow the thing down.

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 6 years, 9 months ago #2361

the amount of times people say is she a husky I always reply no way shes a wolf and carry on. :laughat:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. Dangerous breeds are some times dangerous owners

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 6 years, 9 months ago #2365

• Damelhond
  • Fur Baby
well take a complete white one.....
then it SHOULD BE a samojeed
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
more photo's on our weblog www.blaft.nl/member.php?member=daki

Re:Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 5 years, 6 months ago #17562

• Siamblue
  • Blowing (again)!!
I had the same when i owned Bill my English Bull Terrier, he was always called a Pit Bull or a dangerous dog, in fact he was the complete opposite of a dangerous dog,

There are so many ignorant people out there,

My friend has 2 Huskies so i will ask him has his dogs been called anything else

Gary.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re:Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 5 years, 6 months ago #17563

• mariemisty
  • Akita Owned
grrrrr, RSPCA people should know better. As i read somewhere the other day, each and every dog breed can be a fighting dog, it just depends on the owners.

Re: Is the Akita a 'Japanese Fighting Dog'? 5 years, 6 months ago #17566

• pinklady
  • Akita Owned
joanne wrote:
Think i will print that onto a tshirt,along with the words ITS A AKITA NOT A BLOODY HUSKY.

i get this all the time, took Mitchell to a big sunday market and was getting soooo annoyed with peoples comments about him being a husky:angry: , one comment that did make me laugh was aaahhh its one of the snow dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Time to create page: 0.74 seconds

Find us on Facebook

Find us on Facebook!If the first place you look when you go online is Facebook then you'll be pleased to know that we also have a Facebook page.

Follow us on Twitter!

Follow us on Twitter!Keep upto date with the latest news by following us on Twitter @Akita_rescue

RSS Feeds

RSS FeedsHave the latest news items delivered direct to your email using RSS feeds, just click the icon to get started.